Friday, March 11, 2011

Shameful

Maybe I'm a tad sensitive, at least for someone who once scrapped with another dockworker while mutually armed with shovels, but I doubt it.

Maybe it's because my Dad flew tons of tuna for Nippon Cargo Airlines back in the day, but I doubt it.

Or maybe it's because I just read CitiGroup's 2006 report praising plutonomy, so I'm looking a little too hard, but I doubt it.

Or maybe it's because my first girlfriend was first generation Japanese American; her mother grew up in Japan during the war. I learned a little about Japan, and a lot about cultural blindness.

This is a screenshot from Google news this morning. It was taken from the general news, not the business section:



Maybe we'd see the same concern about the financial markets if this had happened in Ireland.

But I doubt it.




What better way to nakedly expose what matters most to those of us who have the most. This is shameful.
Photo is of Google news, obviously, taken around 6:30 AM EST. 
Yes, I know the news order is based on a computer algorithm--this makes it better? 
Yes, I know it would be shameful no matter what part of the world got hit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so agree. but I think people who have a lot of money continue to believe that this makes them better than mere peons, so if peons are dying, it's not a problem.
Gosh, let's do, "oh the humanity" for a day before we start the financial punishment.
It could happen to anyone...(well, okay, not likely me. I heart the midwest!!!)

doyle said...

Dear Anonymous,

I've had the fortune of knowing a few people with a lot of money, a lot of money. If you ever get to eat with one, make sure you try the wine.

And here's the thing--they don't believe they're better. Most don't really think about it at all.

And that's what's killing us.