Friday, March 18, 2011

Now a word from our sponsors....

"The human toll here looks to be much worse than the economic toll and we can be grateful for that."


Larry Kudrow, CNBC, said this a few days ago, and got flak for it, as, I guess, he should. He sort of apologized for it, too, though unlike many, I do not think he needed to. He shared a sentiment common to his class. It's good to hear a reminder now and again.


This is the global economy Arne wants your child to join. 


Me? I'm busy wrecking as many future Kudrows as I can, showing them lichen and moss and squirrels on our Bloomfield Green. It's hard to hate the world once you fall in love with the local.











Here's an idea--no bombing areas of the world at least half your citizens can't find on a map.
The photo is from here, unattributed--I'd love to hear where it came from.....

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could find the exact quote - amid the information about the potential nuclear meltdown, the deaths, the disaster, was a comment on the BBC from someone at the world bank - The most important thing that japan must do now is stabilize the economy.

No, no I don't think this is too high on the priority list.

If this is indeed the thoughts that schools are turning out then yes, we are failing. Fortunately nobody at my school thought bankers' fortunes were the priority.

doyle said...

Dear Anonymous,

I will look for it, but it doesn't surprise me.

Schools are not turning out kids like this, at least not the truly public ones, not yet.

But if we continue to make our wold more abstract less down to earth, we will get a world most of us would rather avoid. (Unless, maybe, you are on the top of the heap--but a lot of "successful" folks don't seem all that happy...)