Sunday, December 29, 2013

New Year's Resolutions: a science teacher's list

These were last year's resolutions.
I liked them so much I'm going with them again.



New Year's Day is coming up, and with it, the fantasy of resolutions kept.


Only wear shoes when you absolutely have to. 
Science teachers need to wear them during lab, but unless it's snowing and a bunch below zero, my toes are collecting photons.

It also cuts way down on foot issues, and if you teach, your dawgs matter as much as your voice.
My foot and a cabbagehead jelly--and no, haven't tried eating that (yet).


Eat fresh food, as much as possible, but don't make a fetish out of it. 
You can do it for health and a whole lot of other extraneous reasons, but the best reason to do it is because fresh food tastes good, and we only have so many meals in a lifetime.

If nothing else, grow some basil in a used milk carton on a southern windowsill. Even if you never eat them, basil will cheer you up--just brush against the leaves and the smell will wrap your limbus with love.
Brussels sprouts, anyone?


Walk a couple of purposeless miles every day.
No stopwatch, no GPS, no heart rate monitor, no walking shoes, no laps. Just you and the world. If you don't know where to go, you're already halfway there!



Avoid ceilings.
Get outside as much as possible, whenever possible. No telling what you'll see.

Today I got to hold an old live horseshoe crab, and found myself within a couple of feet of two ruddy turnstones. We stumbled upon a hobbled vulture nibbling on a dead black-backed gull. I considered plucking a few oysters off the rocks, but given the recent rainfall, thought better of it. None of this is possible indoors.



Chase what gives you joy for hours a day.
For me that means strumming a stringed instrument (hardly matters which), singing, and gardening. For you, it might be skating, baking, or playing hop scotch.
The universe existed for billions of years before you came to be, and it will last billions more long after you're dead.




If I teach anything at all in biology, I hope it is this much.
You only have a lifetime to live your life.

2 comments:

Slowplum said...

Best resolutions I've read in a long time. May you enjoy every last bit of your life. It's imperative that you do.

doyle said...

Dear Slowplum,

I think your resolution just topped mine. =)

Happy New Year!