Saturday, April 23, 2011

Naked truth

"The development of common standards and shared assessments radically alters the market for innovation in curriculum development, professional development, and formative assessments. Previously, these markets operated on a state-by-state basis, and often on a district-by-district basis. But the adoption of common standards and shared assessments means that education entrepreneurs will enjoy national markets where the best products can be taken to scale."


Ms. Weiss is the Chief of Staff to U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan.

The empress not only has no clothes, she's apparently flaunting it.






I don't know how I missed this....
The woodcut is from here, but I suspect it's in the public domain by virtue of age.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

When I first heard "common core standards" this is where my mind went. I knew that Pearson and McGraw-Hill would make a fortune while having a systematic, standardized, effecient approach to textbooks, texts, tutoring resources and the rest.

Leslie said...

I knew you needed to see this!

doyle said...

Dear John,

Bingo....it's just sad.

My nephew caught a decent sized clear-nosed skate today, and it swam away to see another day.

It weighed 8-10 pounds, and has nothing to do with anything except that it's part of his universe, and for us, worth learning about.


Dear Leslie,

You're the best!

Mary Ann Reilly said...

I read the same thing and shuddered. Really though we knew this didn't we? Creating for-profit schools is the purpose behind all the sky is falling talk.