Tuesday, June 13, 2017

My weed creed

An unexpected (and unearned) gift.

A patch of yard was torn up--our neighbors needed to fix their fence, and we had no particular attachment to the English ivy that sneaks up on you when you're not paying attention.

I take a laissez-faire attitude towards "weeds"--I live with a woman who finds dandelions at least as interesting as roses, and at least you can eat dandelions. Or maybe I'm just lazy.

This week we were rewarded with a spectacular display of flowers from our weed--turns out it is a common mallow, Malva silvestris, a plant with a long shared history with humans.

Also turns out parts of it are edible, too.

I'm sure there's a metaphor here somewhere about weeds, expectations, and high school students, but we're in the last few days of school, and I'm just going to enjoy my mallow for its mallowness.



Who defines the weeds in your circle?







No comments: