Tuesday, July 1, 2014

On honing our craft


This was Granny's stone. She's now dead.
This was my Mom's stone. She's now dead.
This is my stone now. I'm still here.

"Now" is like "matter" and "energy"--words we think we get, but usually get wrong
***

The stone has a curve now, the result of the friction that makes it a honing stone.
Every time anyone uses it, it gives up a tiny piece of itself.
It's older than me, obviously, but will still do what it does, long after I am gone.

It's useless if you do not use it.
It's useless if you allow a stranger to cut things for you.
It's useless if you do not know how it works.
This particular stone is still useful.

If a student graduates from high school with no idea how to sharpen a knife, we have failed her.
***
What does this have to do with education? Everything.
If we want our children to be moral agents, in charge of their mortal lives,  thinking for themselves (and others) in communities that recognize the limits of this God-given land of ours, they need to be able to feed themselves, clothe themselves, maintain their shelters, and defend themselves against those who would use them.
Every year I show young adults (or rather let them discover) that a seed, with time, sunlight, and water, will feed them
I think this year I will teach them how to sharpen knives.




Metaphorical? Fuck no.







No comments: