Sunday, November 14, 2010

Perpetual motion machine



I've been having fun with an idea for a perpetual motion machine that popped into my head at 4 AM. I dreamed it, woke up, remembered it, and now I'm playing with it.

Yes, I know it's impossible, but I've yet to crack the error--yes, I know I'm missing something--but until I figure out the mistake, I'm keeping (mostly) quiet.

Just in case.

Addendum: here it is. The green represents 1 M sucrose solution, the blue pure water. The hatched lines represent semipermeable membranes.

The water has bulk flow into the sucrose solution, then exits via the membrane at the top of the left tube.




Shoot, wrong again....just figured out why.
I will post up my egregious attempt to defy the gods later, after I've tossed it around class.
Yes, of course we're going to try it anyway--this is SCIENCE!

The first image was drawn by the Robert Boyle; I'm proud to say my idea was similar, as you will see.

Toothpaste For Dinner is, well, Toothpaste For Dinner--don't miss it.

No comments: